Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Have I done any good in the world today...

...have I helped anyone in need? 

About a month ago, my cousin Jason's Shayla sent me a Facebook message asking me if I would be willing to do a favor for her.

Over the course of the past month, we've been in contact and finally, yesterday, I was able to complete my portion of the requested favor.

I made and delivered dinner to a recently widowed sister in our valley.

Shayla lives too far away. And this is what she wanted to do for her friend.

What a blessing it was to me to be able to take part in this act of service.

...There are chances for work all around, just now. Opportunities right in our way...

It wasn't much. Rigatoni, french bread, caramel popcorn. But it was food. Ready to eat, homemade, delicious comfort food. 

In one of the most important declarations of what it means to be a true disciple of the Master, Alma describes in clarity and simplicity the covenant and responsibility of one who would enter the waters of baptism. We have all entered the water. We have made the covenant. In the eighteenth chapter of Mosiah, Alma describes the conduct of a true follower of the Savior, a true disciple. For he said, “And now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
“Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things.” (Mosiah 18:8–9.)
He has stated simply: If we are to be the Savior’s disciples, if we are to become like him, then we must serve one another, then we must assume responsibility to help with one another’s needs, then we must assist each other through the thorny pathways of life.
H. Burke Peterson, April 1981 General Conference
I often forget just how meaningful something so simple as a ready to eat meal is to those who are just so tired. 

President Monson in April 2001 General Conference said, "There are feet to steady, hands to grasp, minds to encourage, hearts to inspire, and souls to save."

...Has anyone's burden been lighter today because I was willing to share?...

...When they needed MY help was I there?...

Thank you, Jason's Shayla, for allowing me this opportunity, this gentle reminder that what we do for each other really matters.

...doing good is a pleasure. A joy beyond measure. A blessing of duty and love...



No comments:

Post a Comment