Thursday, February 4, 2016

[O, youth of the noble birthright...carry on, carry on, CARRY ON]

Firm as the mountains around us, 
Stalwart and brave we stand
On the rock our fathers planted
For us in this goodly land...



...the rock of honor and virtue,
of faith in the living God...

See, this morning, this school morning, my little Goose was very excited to wake up early (we're talking like 4:30 am early!) to go to the temple to do baptisms for the dead with her friend Mighty CK.




I have very distinct memories of my 6, maybe 8, opportunities to attend the temple to do baptisms in my youth. The Idaho Falls LDS Temple is located less than 45 minutes from my home, yet going to the temple was a big deal. Huge. Months of planning, interviews, arrangements - so much so that we only went once, maybe twice each year. 

I loved going to the temple, especially as a new beehive with all of the laurels in our ward looking out for us, helping us, doing our hair all cute after we finished. And we always had dinner in the temple cafeteria. They had the best coconut cream pie.

My memories, however, are lacking in the way I felt at the temple. I don't remember recognizing the importance of the work we were doing, nor do I remember clear impressions or feelings during or after our visits.

Last night, McKayslin asked if I could take her to the temple this morning (I took her and Roo 2 weeks ago (on a Saturday morning) and Luke and I took the girls again last Saturday morning) before school. I might have hesitated. It's so early to get up. It's cold. She has school...

Yet, very clearly, I received the impression that I needed to take her this morning. One of the things I'm working on is listening and acting when I receive gentle nudges to do something good.

It took one text and CK was on board to come along. To be at the temple at 5:30 am. On a school morning. Do you know what that does to a Momma heart? As we prepared to tuck McKayslin in for the night, she shared this simple testimony...

"I like the way I feel at the temple. I really like the way I feel after. I think I need to go in the morning to give me strength and to energize me for my day."

My little barely twelve year old craves temple attendance like I have only learned to do in my 40s. Seriously, how great is that?!

This morning, early, Luke left for work, and I grumbled out of bed and into the shower, where this hymn wound itself so tightly around my heart. I found myself humming, smiling, and excited to be the mom that got to take the girls to the temple this morning. And I knew Kenton was smiling. 

Even though Kenton never was able to attend the temple physically, he was so excited when Bishop McDonald brought him his recommend at the hospital. Luke took a picture and sent me a text. Although Kenton was very sick at the time, his smile stretched from ear to ear as he proudly held up his temple recommend.



I was reminded of a story that Cal shared with me. When they were waiting in the baptistry waiting room one morning, one of the temple workers encouraged the kids to really think of the person they were performing the baptismal ordinance for, and to realize that at that moment, they were acting as missionary companions with those who had gone on before, bringing these ordinances to those who had died without the opportunity to receive them. She shared how great it was that our boys could work together on something so great - Kenton in the Spirit World and Payts here.

And now, my little Goose gets to work together with our Kenton in that same capacity. 

We picked up Mighty CK a little after 5 and arrived at the temple right around 5:30. We entered the temple to find youth already there, filling the baptistry, anxiously engaged in the work of the Lord. I watched as the girls confidently participated in the ordinances. I could see their love of the temple and the work performed there.




We exited the temple in a snowstorm. 




Stopped for some breakfast. Listened to them plan and prepare for their next trip - even making plans for the future when finally all of the friends were 12 - giggling about how we'd have to rent a bus every week. And then I dropped them off at school.

As they tumbled into school, facing the challenges of the day with a renewed outlook, with strength, and with faith, I took a moment for a quick prayer of thanks that I was the mom allowed to bring them to the temple this morning. Because, guess what?! Those blessings were mine this morning, too.

These kids of mine teach me so much...stalwart and brave they stand.

...Holding aloft our colors,
We march in the glorious dawn.
O youth of the noble birthright,
Carry on, carry on, carry on!"

Carry On
LDS Hymns 255
Text: Ruth May Fox
Music: Alfred M. Durham









2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! We are going to a family sealing in the morning and I have been (reluctantly, not sure why?) thinking about going early to a session. I even have a babysitter willing to have the kids all day but I still wasn't sure I wanted to do it because tomorrow is a crazy busy day! Without making this a super long story. This morning I had the distinct impression that we needed to go early. I even felt Bubba pushing me! Yet, I was still trying to talk myself out of it! But to quote my husband; "Haven't you learned that you will never win an argument with Kenton?" Maybe because tomorrow is a crazy busy day we need to be there early? Thanks, friend! And thank you Goose! You are a wonderful example to everyone around you! Love your guts! 💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! We are going to a family sealing in the morning and I have been (reluctantly, not sure why?) thinking about going early to a session. I even have a babysitter willing to have the kids all day but I still wasn't sure I wanted to do it because tomorrow is a crazy busy day! Without making this a super long story. This morning I had the distinct impression that we needed to go early. I even felt Bubba pushing me! Yet, I was still trying to talk myself out of it! But to quote my husband; "Haven't you learned that you will never win an argument with Kenton?" Maybe because tomorrow is a crazy busy day we need to be there early? Thanks, friend! And thank you Goose! You are a wonderful example to everyone around you! Love your guts! 💜

    ReplyDelete